Click on pictures to see them enlarged in a photo stream. Comments: word verification on to allow anyone to comment but try and deter excessive amounts of spam! I LOVE getting comments!

Saturday 1 March 2008

Curried sweet potato soup

As requested (!) here's the recipe.... (hoping broadband holds out for a minute)

Curried Sweet potato soup

1kg sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
1 onion, peeled and chopped
Two dessert spoons of curry paste ( I only used a little and I've seen recipes that only say 1 or 1.5 TEASPOONS of curry paste so I'll leave you to judge!)
1 litre vegetable stock
Can coconut milk
Olive oil

Sweat onion in oil, add paste and cook for few minutes, add sweet potato and stock. Bring to boil and simmer for 20 minutes or until potato is soft. Add coconut milk. Whizz with blender till smooth.

I served it with croutons made from toasted herby bread.

Found on a website but can't find the credit - sorry whoever invented it!

4 comments:

  1. That sounds yummy - and we love curry. However, coconut is one of the 2-3 foods that I really loathe - even the smell in shampoos and lotions. Do you know of anything that could substitute for coconut milk - maybe just regular evaporated milk?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I think I know what we're having for dinner tomorrow night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary - I'm not an expert cook so I wouldn't like to suggest what would work instead of coconut milk. But I have seen recipes that use "single cream" which is stirred into soup once it has cooked (bet that's going to be another language difference....). I don't like evaporated milk so have never used it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only use evaporated milk in cooking (sometimes). Like you, I have seen recipes calling for cream, so maybe I'll try that. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete