Click on pictures to see them enlarged in a photo stream. Comments: word verification on to allow anyone to comment but try and deter excessive amounts of spam! I LOVE getting comments!

Monday 27 September 2010

Preparing the garden for .... Spring!


I didn't have the heart to cut down this beautiful Scottish Thistle that has grown in the vegetable patch.  The bees love it and I think the flowers are pretty and I love something about the spikiness of the plant so it gets to stay a little longer.

I've been laying down recycled silage-plastic across the veggie patch in an effort to keep weeds at bay until I'm ready to plant next Spring. I'm hoping it will help the earth warm up a little earlier too ready for planting. Cathy from Fillets, "up the road" on Graemsay delivered the silage plastic and helped me lay it out, which is just as well as there is no way I could have weighted it down with *those* stones!


The sun shone and clouds created lovely patterns across the sky.  I soaked up the peace and warmth, taking great gulps of fresh air (not least cos I was out of breath from the work!).  Thursday sees Easterly gales forecast with winds up to 60mph so time to batten down hatches as Autumn is really here now!

2 comments:

  1. Louise from Seattle3 October 2010 at 18:31

    Wow! Makes me very respectful of October weather! Stay warm, Sian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - I intend too!! :-)

    ReplyDelete