Click on pictures to see them enlarged in a photo stream. Comments: word verification on to allow anyone to comment but try and deter excessive amounts of spam! I LOVE getting comments!

Thursday 18 July 2013

The Italian Chapel


One of the places my sister was particularly keen to visit was the Italian Chapel.  This is also one of my favourite places. This wee Catholic chapel is on Lamb Holm, one of the linked South Isles. It was built by Italian Prisoners of War during WWII, as they were housed in the camp that surrounded it. Despite it's appearance, it is, in fact, two nissan huts joined together and then decorated. All the construction was done by the Italian POW's themselves, using whatever came to hand.




Beautifully detailed work....


The painting of the Madonna and Child was from a picture given to Domenico Chiocchetti by his mother before he left Italy. Chiocchetti was responsible for most of the interior decoration and he copied the picture for the alter piece. He remained to finish the work on the chapel even when his fellow prisoners were released.

The metal work is made out of scrap metal. Whatever could be found around the camp was used.

















The interior is all trompe-l'oeil work. It's very effectively done.



















The chapel fell into disrepair for a time, then Domenico Chiocchetti  oversaw some of the renovation some years ago. There are still close links with his remaining family and the small town of Moena, the region of Italy from whence the prisoners of war came. Services are sometimes held in the church, weddings too, and of course it is much visited by tourists.

The Chapel overlooks the Churchill Barrier that the prisoners helped construct. These barriers were part of the defence of Scapa Flow against submarine attack. Today the barriers are road causeways linking the isles to the Orkney Mainland. It all looks very benign on a Summer day. Bloomin' cold and bleak in the winter though!



10 comments:

  1. Oh that church is lovely and even more so, knowing how it was made from scraps. The tromp l'oeil work is lovely.

    Thanks for the wonderful story.

    Nice too that the Prisoners of War were treated with respect and allowed to make that house of worship...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the church is a very special place. I went to a service there once which was lovely too.

      Delete
  2. Great pictures! I visited 2 years ago and was amazed at the detail, they were quite talented. Nice description as well, I had to check out my pictures and reminisce a bit after reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it triggered a reminiscence for you! It is amazing all the paintwork and metal work. I just love the story...

      Delete
  3. Hi Sian

    Just wanted to say how much I enjoy your blog. Have been reading it ever since January when I booked our hols staying near Stromness in August. Your photos have me convinced we're going to have a great time!

    Cheers

    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lorraine! Thanks for commenting -I do love to hear from folk who read my posts :-) And I'm sure you will love Orkney. I do hope the weather is kind to you....sigh... not the best of summers here compared with the rest of the country.

      Delete
    2. PS if you want any local info drop me an email and I'll see what I can do (it's in my profile).

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous, Sian. It's touching to think of the skill and devotion which went into making something so beautiful so far from home. The wrought ironwork is exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love the wrought ironwork. The lanterns are my favourite.

      Delete
  5. Your pictures are fantastic. I was lucky enough to visit two years ago and was amazed at the detail they were able to put into their work. Just fabulous.

    ReplyDelete