Click on pictures to see them enlarged in a photo stream. Comments: word verification on to allow anyone to comment but try and deter excessive amounts of spam! I LOVE getting comments!

Sunday 24 January 2016

Bonkers Button



So Button and I set out on our usual walk to the coral beach today.  The sky was overcast but there was hardly a breeze and it was very mild so it was a pleasant meander along the shore.  On the way back Button decided she didn't want to leave.  She is sitting in a very determined fashion in the photo above.  I had "things to do" so I headed home.  I cast her a backward glance and saw THIS!


Gah!!!! I was in panic mode.  I called her, but of course she ignored me.  The photo above was taken on a zoom so I knew I couldn't rush to grab her and anyway that may have made matters worse. There was nothing for it but to wait in trepidation!!


Sigh, this is her "WHAT?!" pose, typical of many a teenager when they are interrupted doing something they enjoy.....

Of course she knew exactly what she was doing......


And made a safe descent to sea level.  Though WHY remains a mystery to me!


On a historical (rather than the earlier hysterical) note, the old stone pier was built around 1860 and is known as "the lighthouse pier" at Sandside, because all the stone was brought across from the Point Of Ness in Stromness to this pier and then hauled to either end of the island to build Hoy High and Hoy Low lighthouses.  I love this pier!  As, it would seem, does Madam Button!


14 comments:

  1. On a slightly less feline note, everyone should have a 'Bonkers' button, to be pressed now and again as circumstances dictate or when appropriate. As opposed to those folk who have theirs jammed down with a piece of Blu-Tack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always amazed at the fortitude of individuals who under harsh conditions are able to accomplish such things as hauling stone for lighthouses. Perhaps Button knew that if she just went on her own little adventure it would supply you with a great post, and a history lesson as well. Ummmm....possibly not. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah I think she just likes to frighten me. LOL!

      Delete
  3. My heart was in my mouth waiting for Button to jump. I can only imagine the hardship building the pier and the lighthouse, amazing heritage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So was mine!!!! NOooooooo was going through my head. And yes amazing to even contemplate building a pier before all the safety equipment and heavy machinery we have nowadays.

      Delete
  4. Brill. Happy new year to you both! Fantastic walling. How is it locked-in at the bottom. Would enjoy some details if you are that way again....suppose it depends what Buttons wants to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh we pass it daily. I'll try and get some photos and post, probably not for a couple of weeks though. Both sides are quite different so it is fascinating.

      Delete
  5. So sweet, she's such an adventurous little thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She scares the living daylights out of me though. LOL!

      Delete
  6. Dear Sian,

    Button is just being a typically contrary cat - contrariness is about the only predictable feline behavior. My kitty-cat honey-bun Megs excels at it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes she's Contrary with a capital C all right. LOL! We wouldn't have it any other way though would we :-)

      Delete